By now most people know that Oatmeal is health food but often people are eating it in the wrong way. Either its topped with large amounts of sugar or prepackage processed Oatmeal stripped of all its vital nutrition. I’ll admit , as much as I love oatmeal in all its fibrous glory, its needs help in the flavor department.
An excellent way to add flavor to oatmeal while adding extra nutrition is topping it with a variety of fruit. In these Tropical Oatmeal bowls the shining stars are sweet Pineapple and Ataulfo Mangoes. These are my favorite type of Mangoes. They’re perfectly sweet and tangy with soft non fibrous flesh. I could eat these mangoes with a spoon all day long. you can find Ataulfo mangoes, also known as Champagne mangoes in season from April to September.
Another way to add flavor to oats in nutritious way is using flavored liquid in place of plain water of milk. In this recipe I use unsweetened Coconut water and Vanilla extract to infuse flavor into the oatmeal. Let me tell you its smells wonderful. These oatmeal bowls are easy to make, healthy, Vegan and kid approved.
Tropical Sunshine Oatmeal bowls
Makes 4 bowls
- 2 cups of Steel Cut Oats
- 2 cups of Unsweetened Coconut Water
- 2 cups of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt ( optional)
- 2 cups of sliced fresh Pineapple
- 2 Ataulfo Mangoes cubed
- 2 Kiwi’s peeled and sliced
- 2 bananas
- 1 lime
- 4 teaspoons of Orange Blossom honey
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp. of Cumin
- 2 tablespoons of shredded or sliced dried raw or toasted Coconut ( can sub raw Almonds)
- In a medium pot add Coconut water, Almond Milk and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add Steel cut oats and cook for 10 minutes
- Pour in Vanilla extract and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until all liquid is soaked into the oats.
- Divide mixture into 4 bowls
- Top each bowl with a 1/2 cup of sliced Pineapple and half of mango that has been cubed
- Peel and slice the Kiwi ad banana then add a few slices to each bowl
- sprinkle with shredded Coconut or Almonds
- Drizzle each bowl with one teaspoon of Orange Blossom honey or Agave