It’s Citrus Season! This is an exciting time of year because I’m obsessed with Lemons and all kinds of Citrus. I use it my water , salads, smoothies, soups, drinks, baked good and marinades. So when I don’t have to pay Citrus at a premium, during the off season, I get excited! Green smoothies are how I start off my morning nearly everyday. Its a quick way to make sure I consume all the vital nutrients my body needs. Its also travel friendly and my kids love it too. I use different fruits and veggies but the base stay the same. When Meyer Lemons are in season I love adding a couple of whole, peeled ones into my smoothies. It adds a delicious sweet tartness and amazingly hides the taste of the greens and flax seeds.
Meyer Lemon Tropical Green Smoothie
Makes 64 ounces, serves 4
- 8 ounces of Fresh greens ( Spinach, Kale, or Swiss Chard)
- 2 cups of Frozen pineapple cubes
- 1 cup of Frozen Mango
- 1 large Banana
- 2 Meyer lemons with peel removed ( if not using a high powered blender, remove seeds)
- 1/2 cup of raw Flax seeds ( use powdered if your blender doesn’t grind down seeds)
- 24 ounces of filtered water
Start by adding all the greens to blender and pack them down. Add Banana, Frozen Pineapple, Mango, two peeled Meyer lemons, flax seeds and then filtered water. Blend on high in a Vitamix or other powerful blender, using Tamper to move frozen fruit. Blend until completely smooth.