Irish Whiskey Smash is a perfect cocktail for St. Patrick’s Day. Refreshing with a twist on the classic and in my opinion even better.
Instead of Lemon I used fresh Limes and Jameson’s Irish whiskey in place of a more traditional Bourbon Whiskey .
To make a great libation, simple syrup is a must. It’s as simple as boiling water and sugar together but the flavor options are endless. Simple syrup is an important component for great cocktails because it ensures even distribution of sweetness. In this drink I infused fresh mint and Lime zest. Make a large batch and keep it in a glass bottle in your fridge . It will last for months.
If your not a huge fan of Whiskey, I think Jameson’s will change your mind . It’s smooth with a bit of sweetness that other whiskey brands don’t have. I call it a gateway whiskey lol. Lots of ice and a splash of Soda water give this cocktail a very mild whiskey flavor . Feel free it leave out or add more whiskey according to your taste . Make sure to muddle the simple syrup and the limes really well and again after you’ve added the whiskey .
I love using large Cube or ball ice but crushed ice works just as well . Garnish with extra lime and fresh mint. Cheers and have a happy and safe St.Patrick’s Day !!!!
Irish Whiskey Smash
Makes 2 drinks
- 1 Cup of filtered water
- 1 cup of super fine sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lime zest
- Juice of 1/2 of Lime
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh mint
- 4-6 ounces of Jameson’s Irish Whiskey
- 2 -4 ounces of Soda water ( depending how light you want your cocktail )
- 2 large Cubes or Ball ice
- 2 sprigs is fresh Mint
- 1 Lime cut into 4
- 1 lime,sliced into thin rounds
- 2 Glasses
- In a medium sauce pan, add sugar, water, lime zest and juice. Stir to combine .
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Then add chopped mint. Turn off heat and steep and cool down . As this point you can strain the bits of mint and zest out or leave as is.
- Pour Simple syrup into a glass bottle with a lid. This will make about a cup of syrup . Store in fridge for up too a month.
- In a large muddleing glass or shaker, add two lime wedges and 2 ounces of Mint Lime simple syrup. Using a muddler or wooden spoon , mash together .
- Use some arm strength . This will help release all the essential flavors in the lime and mix with the simple syrup.
- Add in 4-6 ounces of Jameson’s whiskey and muddle again.
- Top with soda water and place shaker lid on. Give a few good shakes . Pour into two glasses that are filled with ice .
- Garnish with extra lime slices and mint.
Double to the recipe to have your next drink ready to go or for more guest .