Potato Leek Broccoli Cheddar cheese soup !!!!! Yes you read that right. I’ve combined my two favorite soups into one. Because why not ? It’s the best of both worlds. Made a bit healthier and filled with all these delicious flavors, both soups have to offer.
This soup is made special by infusing a secret weapon, by way of a saved Parmesan rind. Next time you buy a nice piece of Parmesan, cut off the rind, wrap it in plastic and throw in the freezer for safe keeping. Use in simmering soups or stocks and it will infuse all its delicious cheesy, salty and nutty flavor.
By pureeing this soup into a super smooth consistency, the kids don’t realize how many vegetables they’re slurping down. Its delicious and healthy. A total win !
This large batch soup, serves many or freeze it for future meals . Perfect on a cold day or a Meatless Monday.
Healthier Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (or any heart healthy oil)
- 2 leeks , dark green part , removed
- 4 cloves of garlic, rough chopped
- 5 Yukon gold potatoes, rough chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 heads of broccoli, rough chopped (Save a few florets for garnish)
- 3 carrots shredded or diced small
- Parmesan rind( that has been saved from previous use)
- 10 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried Thyme
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- One can fat free evaporated milk (12 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch
- 2 Cup of white cheddar
- 2-3 green onions diced small for garnish
- 2 teaspoons of high quality extra virgin olive oil; for finishing
- Cut off dark green parts from leeks, then cut in half. Rinse the leeks thoroughly, to remove all the dirt. rough chop and set aside
- Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat
- Add olive oil and saute leeks, garlic, carrots and dried thyme until soften. About 5 minutes
- Add in potatoes, salt, pepper, vegetable stock, bay leaf and Parmesan rind
- Bring up to a Boil for 10 minutes.
- Then add in chopped broccoli and simmer for another 5 minutes .
- Remove a few Broccoli florets for garnish and set aside
- Remove Bay leaf and soften Parmesan rind
- Pour in fat-free Evaporated milk mixed with cornstarch and simmer for another 5 minutes
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup till smooth. Or, if you like your soup chunky, pulse blend. Note: when using a regular blender, puree soup in batches. Careful not to over fill, to reduce risk of blender explosion.
- Taste for seasoning and consistency of soup. If too thick, thin out with stock or water. Too thin, simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
- Ladle in bowls and garnish each bowl with 1/4 cup or 2 ounces of White Cheddar cheese
- Sprinkle with diced green onion and gently top with reserved broccoli florets
- Optional finish. A fine drizzle of high Quality Olive oil.