When its Citrus season, I get in a baking and cooking frenzy because I love all kinds of citrus ! When I was little, I use eat whole lemons like you eat an orange. I love the tart freshness of Lemons and the sweet, mild tartness of Oranges, Tangerines and Clementines. Please don’t skip on the limes for taco Tuesday either, I say I’ve me all the citrus.
You may find that a lot of my recipes tend to have a bit more acidic and citrus based flavor then most and that is because of my love for intense tart flavors. Feel free to scale back if you don’t shout through your neighborhood, Oprah style ” Its Citrus season!!!!!!”
As clear evidence with above photo. I even decorate with citrus. Can you see why I would combine a tart and sweet Citrus flavor together ? Of course, what’s better then two types in on delicious cake vessel. In this recipe the cake part is the easiest because I chose to use a boxed cake mix that’s amped up and focus on the luscious Tangerine Curd. I know , a cake mix sounds improper , but trust me it doesn’t taste like one
Bake it in a Heart shaped Bunt pan, like I did and serve it for Valentines, or a Loaf pan for a bread like shape. Its all good. I promise Citrus lovers will unite over this cake.
Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Tangerine Vanilla Curd
- 1 box Vanilla cake mix
- 2 tablespoons of Lemon zest
- 1/3 cup of fresh Lemon juice ( from zest lemons)
- 3/4 cup of plain Non fat Greek yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of melted Butter
- 1/8 teaspoon of Almond extract
- 2 tablespoons of Poppy Seeds
- 3/4 cup fresh Tangerine Juice
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 stick of butter , cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon of Vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bunt or loaf pan
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixture, combine Lemon zest, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, and Almond extract
- Melt butter in a glass bowl, then poor into yogurt lemon mixture.
- add eggs one at a time and mix with whisk
- slowly combine cake mix until well incorporated
- stir in poppy seeds
- bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. let cool in pan and then flip it out onto parchment or plate
- In a sauce pan add tangerine juice, lemon juice , sugar and cornstarch. Stir to combine an cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and slowly add tangerine sugar mixture into the egg yolks. Whisking constantly. Then add back into pan for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Vanilla extract and butter.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh seive
- Pour into glass container and cover with lid to cool completely in refrigerator
- Drizzle Tangerine curd over top of Lemon Poppy Seed cake and serve with extra pieces of fresh Orange.