I love sweets ! I mean who doesn’t ?!!! I also love being healthy and the combination is hard to find. This Chocolate Coconut Mousse has the best of both worlds. Decedent rich chocolate flavor, made with one of the healthiest foods on the planet, Chia seeds.
Chia seeds are powerful tiny black seeds filled with nutrients to help maintain the heath of your body and mind. Chia seeds are rich in Omega-3’s, fiber, and multiple antioxidants. A superfood used by ancient Mayans and Aztecs for strength and energy. Because of its ability to be gelatinous, it can be used as an egg replacer in vegan dishes.
Chia acts like a sponge, soaking up the flavors of Chocolate, coconut and vanilla. You could certainly use real sugar, but Maple syrup adds just the right amount of sweetness.
There are many recipes for Chia pudding but I’ve never liked the whole seeds. Blending it, creates such a beautiful mousse like texture. No dairy and eggs required. Trader Joe’s has these great Toasted Coconut flakes with Sesame seeds and they are the perfect topping for the dessert.
It would be equally delicious with a few fresh Raspberries. I hope you’ll enjoy this healthy and decedent Chocolate Coconut Mousse.
Decadent Vegan Chocolate Coconut Mousse
Makes 6 serving ( about 4 ounces each)
- 1-15 ounce can of Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 2/3 cup Water
- 2/3 cup Chia seeds
- 1/2 cup Cocoa powder
- 1/2 -2/3 cup real Maple syrup( depending how sweet you like it)
- 1 teaspoon of good Vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Coconut extract ( optional for extra Coconut flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons of Coconut Flakes ( unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons of Trader Joe’s Sesame seed Coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons toasted Walnuts
- In a medium size bowl, add Coconut milk and water. Stir well to comebine the liquids. Can use any other Nut milk just don’t add water.
- Add chia seeds, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt
- Carefully stir all ingredients together with a whisk. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 4 hours
- Place mixture into a blender and blend on high until completely smooth and creamy. Make sure to scrape down sides
- Cover and chill for another hour
- Pour into 6 glasses
- Top with Unsweetened Coconut flakes, Toasted Sesame Coconut flakes and toasted walnuts
Eat within a few days and keep covered. If the mousse becomes too thick. Add a bit more Coconut or Almond milk and stir. Or you may warm it and serve as pudding .