As a mother I’m always looking for new ways to incorporate more veggies and whole grains into my family’s diet. We often seem to have many left overs of quinoa, Brown rice and steamed veggies, as these are our staple sides dishes we have at most weekday meals. Veggie Patties are a great way to use up all those left over side dishes and turn them into something new and tasty. Even if you don’t have left overs, these Cheesy Veggie Quinoa Fritters are simple to make an easily adaptable to a Vegan version.
In this recipe I have used Broccoli and Asparagus. Mainly because these are my kid’s favorite vegetables, but this recipe is equally delicious with shredded Zucchini and carrots or any veggie combo you prefer. As you can see I like to leave my veggies a bit chunky. A few zips in the food processor can give you a much smoother consistency.
Using cooked Quinoa instead of flour makes them Gluten free. These fritters are also baked with minimal oil, instead of fried like traditional fritters. Delicious and healthy, packed with fiber and protein but more importantly kid approved. Eat them as a side dish, in a burger or top them with a dollop of Greek yogurt and some fresh chives for a healthy appetizer.
Cheesy Broccoli Asparagus Quinoa Fritters
makes 16 small patties or 8 large
- 2 cups of Broccoli florets ( about two heads )
- 2 cups of Asparagus
- 2 Large cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 and 1/2 cups of Quinoa
- 2 and 1/2 cups of Vegetable stock; plus 2 tablespoons set a side
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Red Chile flake
- 2 cups of Cheddar or Vegan cheese
- 1/2 cup of Nutritional Yeast
- 4 egg whites or Flax eggs (* see notes)
- Olive oil spray
- Greek Yogurt or Vegan Plain Yogurt
1. In a fine mesh strainer, rinse quinoa under cold water and let drain. Add to pot with Vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Put the lid on and let quinoa rest off the heat for 5 minutes. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Rinse out pot
2. Small dice broccoli florets and Asparagus. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
3. Dice onion and garlic. In the same pot, spray with cooking spray and sauté onions and garlic for 2 minutes over medium heat. Add chopped veggies and 1 teaspoon of salt, a pinch pf black pepper, and 2 tablespoons of vegetable stock. Saute for another 3 minutes
4. Pour veggie mixture into bowl with Quinoa. Let cool for 5 minutes
5. Season with Paprika, Chile flakes, Pepper and remaining salt
6. Add cheese and Nutritional yeast. Mix well to evenly combined
7. Lightly beat egg whites or Flax egg and add them to mixture. stirring well to combine.
* Flax egg: 1 tablespoon of ground Flax meal and 3 tablespoons of warm water, set aside for 5 minutes till it becomes glutinous. You will need 4 for this recipe
8. Place mixture in fridge for 30 minutes if using Flax eggs
9. Line a large baking pan with Parchment paper. Lightly spray with cooking spray
10. Using a half cup, scoop mixture and gently form into patties . Place on sheet pan. Bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
11. Right before serving, top with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and sprinkle with chopped chives
This mixture will make 16 small patties or 8 large ones.