On Mother’s Day, we have a big brunch in celebration of all the special mamas in our lives. Of course I always cook and my children love to help me prepare muffins. I have many recipes for great Banana bread, but this recipe is my favorite to make with kids . Its delicious, moist and easy to make. The large muffin size bakes up quicker then a whole loaf, and its a perfect “make ahead” treat for brunch on Mother’s day. These muffins also store well for grab and go breakfast for everyone in the family.
To make these muffins a bit healthier, I have added whole-wheat flour and snuck in some super nutritious Chia seeds. Chia seeds contain more potassium then Bananas, twice the antioxidants of Blueberries, and 10 times more Omega-3s then Salmon. Isn’t that amazing !!!! They add a nice subtle crunch but in general you can not taste the chia. Which is a win, win when it comes to adding nutrition to children’s diets. To intensify the banana flavor, I added an extra dollop of ripe smashed banana to the center and then topped with Almonds to finish off these delicious and healthyish muffins. A very important tip; is to make sure and use very very ripe Bananas. Nearly all black. I usually buy a lot of Bananas and let them ripen in the sun on the counter , then refrigerate them, until I’m ready to bake .
Make a large batch to freeze for future quick breakfasts or they will last refrigerated for about five days. These muffins are sure to make you’re loved ones smile.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the amazing mothers, mamas, grandmothers and Nanas out there. May a warm muffin made with love fill your belly and your heart.
Banana Almond Chia Muffins
Makes 6 large muffins or 12 regular sized muffins
- 1 cup of All purpose flour
- 1 cup of Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup of Chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 5 overripe Bananas; reserve one banana for filling
- 3/4 cup of melted butter, cooled
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of regular sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of good Vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of Almond extract
- 1/2 cup of chopped raw Almonds
- 2 tablespoons of Sugar in the Raw ( Turbinado sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a muffin tin
- Smash the bananas in a small bowl with a whisk, making sure to leave some texture to the bananas and set aside
- In another bowl combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and chia seeds
- In a mixing bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Using an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment; mix until well combined.
- Add Vanilla, Almond extract and 3/4 of the smashed banana, then mix until light and fluffy
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients and scrape down bowl in between mixing
- divide mixture evenly into muffin pans using large Ice cream scoop
- dollop the remaining smashed banana on top of the batter
- Sprinkle with rough chopped raw Almonds and Turbinado Sugar
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 27 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean
Double the recipe to have it ready to go for more guest .